The condiment with the power to turn the ordinary to extraordinary. And thankfully it only requires a handful of pantry staples (plus kombucha for some extra gut goodness) and can be enjoyed in just 30 minutes.
With this kombucha recipe, transform raw red onions into an irresistible tangy, crisp, and colorful condiment that adds a magical and complex spark to most any meal. Some of our favorite ways to use pickled onions are on burgers, sandwiches, salads, tacos, and even curries.
Let’s make a batch with Buchi Kombucha Fire! A few notes and tips.
- For the best results, slice the onions very thin (about ⅛-inch). This lets them absorb the vinegar faster. If you’re not in a hurry, and prefer your onions to be thicker, you’ll want to let them rest overnight.
- Feel free to experiment by adding some of your favorite spices and herbs. We recommend rosemary, garlic, fresh grated ginger, turmeric, or even thyme.
- Quick pickled onions are at their best during the first week, but can be kept up to 3 weeks if refrigerated.
- You could use this same recipe with radishes as well!
- This recipe is for quick pickled onions and is not intended for canning.